Vital Statistics: Births Marriages
Early Name Index, Tennessee Co Record Books
Tennessee Miscellaneous Records: mainly tax notices and letters at Post Offices: 1799 to 1812
Gillespie Military Leaders born in Tennessee
Interesting Facts & Locations
Blount Co, Tennessee: Louisville was originally known as Gillespie’s Landing, named after three founding settlers: John Gillespie, Robert Gillespie, Samuel Gillespie, who settled there in 1795. The Gillespie House was built 1802 by James and John Gillespie, sons of William Gillespie, Holstein River.
To find it, from Alabama, take I40 to US 129 south in direction of McGhee-Tyson Airport. Continue past the airport to a fork in 129. In direction of Atlanta at the right fork proceed towards Atlanta to the next red light at Walmart. This is Louisville Road. Turn right and continue straight on to Louisville on TN 333. Past Louisville,take the road to the right named Old Lowe’s Ferry Road. This ends at a campground and boat dock, named Polland Creek. Veer right and continue on Lowers Ferry Road until the pavement ends, near the old Gillespie house on the left.
An article by Pat Cuffey on Gillespie cemeteries published Sunday, September 22, 2013 in Rhea Herald Newspaper, Pge A6 Life Styles. See www.rheaheraldnews.com. Includes map of cemeteries on Watts Bar Lake. The author’s comments as follows:
“Both the Gillespie Cemetery and the Gillespie Slave Cemetery were mapped by the Works Progress Adminstration (WPA) and the Tennesse Valley Authority (TVA) and are shown in the Rhea County Historical and Genealogical Society Cemetery Book, Volume 1, complied by Betty Broyles.
The Gillespie Cemetery is on the west bank of the Tennessee River at mile 540.8, approximately one mile north of Euchee Ferry. Ten graves are found with six having monuments. The cemetery is also one mile north of Iron Hill Church, and 22 miles north of the Washington Ferry.
Go north from Dayton on the state highway to Jinney Wallace farm, turning east on the river road. Continue up Tennessee River one mile north to a large gate on the hill. This was a familiy graveyard and was abandoned years ago. A strong iron fence surrounds it, underpinned by heavy limeston base at the gate and corners. It was formerly the Gillespie farm. This graveyard is 24 by 40 feet, and is in very good condition.
This cemetery and the Gillespie Slave Cemetery are now on a large island in Watts Bar Lake. They will not be flooded. Two of the Gillespie burials include George and Anna. George Gillespie was born June 17,1767 and died Oct 18, 1840, age 73 yrs. Anna was George’s wife, born Feb 1, 1782 and died Sept 18, 1850, age 58 years old.
The Gillespie Slave Cemetery can be found on the west bank of the Tennessee River, just over a mile south of the Gillespie Cemetery and at mile 539.5. This burial place contains 38 graves, but only has three monuments. Apparently there are many additionals graves scattered in the cemetery, but the underbrush has to be cut before these can be found. Only three names have been identified: Ezekiel Gillespie, slave of George Gillespie, died in 1857; Martha J Edmonds, died in 1890 and W B Peters with no dates.
There is also a second Gillespie Cemetery on the Ten Mile Quadrangle, located approximately two miles north of the slave cemetery. The Euchee Cemetery is on the old Gillespie lands. The coloured people of this community were children and grandchildren of the old slaves. They have inherited houses and farms, given to them by their Gillespie masters. From Washington, go north about 14 miles, passing the Old Rhea Springs Water mill, then go north for about four miles to the widow McCuiston farm, thence east about three miles to the Uchee Community. More than 50 graves unnamed and not dated.
Lou King recorded 27 additional inscriptions in this cemetery Sept 19, 1996, and these individuals were interred by three different funeral homes. To reach this cemetery, go north on Highway 27 from Spring City to St Clair. Turn right on Rocky Springs Road to Toe Spring Valley Road; continue straight ahead and follow Euchee Chapel Road turning right on Ewing Cemetery Road. The Gillespie or Euchee Cemetery is on the left side of this road.
Since both the Gillespie and Gillespie Slave Cemeteries are now on an island in a lake, they are only accessible by boat after summer season.”