Most recent information added to bottom of this list.
Beginning balance of all records posted to this site at end of first year: 16,937 as of Jan 1st, 2018.
Week of January 1 to 7, 2018
GOALS, VISION, FOCUS – Miscellaneous check of all links, and review of interest by visitors to this website. Working systematically down country list on left menu bar adding records to each one, then repeating. Unifying appearance so all dates prior to 1850 are highlighted (e.g.1849 and 1850) for easier research of oldest records.
AFRICA & ASIA– just finished during Dec 2017 – now added a few more South Africa Birth Records. New: PHILIPPINES home page added)
AUSTRALIA – continuing NSW Birth and Death Records; New: Birth Records Western Australia
CANADA: Newfoundland & Labrador home page with 1921 census and listing of early inhabitants
CARIBBEAN: Added records for Barbados
ENGLAND– adding more Marriage Records. Stopped at 450 entries, more to be added later.
EUROPE: one record each for Denmark, Germany, Italy. Extremelly few records seem to be available for Gillespies in Europe other than military records, so added links to those for some countries. A Gillespie born in Denmark is listed on 1850 census for Alabama, USA
Week of Jan 8 to 14, 2018
Counties: Kerry, Kings, Longford, Queens, Tipperary, Wexford – new county pages begun with only a few records each, so held in private at this time, not yet ready to be published
Out of office…..
Week of January 15 to 21, 2018
IRELAND: Finished 1911 census Co Sligo; added 99 death records for Gillespies of Co Tyrone.
NEW ZEALAND: a few more marriage records
SCOTLAND: Few Dumfries Gillespie death records; Fifeshire Monument & Deaths;
CAN YOU HELP IDENTIFY ANY OF THE PEOPLE IN THIS PHOTO ca 1919 Edinburgh, Scotland? The wedding of Marjory Lenore Gillespie & George Moir. This couple later immigrated to Edmonton area of Alberta, Canada.
Week of January 22 to 28, 2018
IRELAND: 1911 census Co Tyrone; added 61 death records for Co Armagh.
Gillespie Name origins (not yet posted)
SCOTLAND 1841 Police Report in Glasgow; Gillespie Biographies .
Week of January 29 to February 28th
USA focus the whole month of February:
- Alabama Home Page just released: includes Gillespie Marriages, 1850 Census (first census that lists all family members). Links to even earlier census on USA home page.
- Connecticut – added 60 Death Records
- Delaware – rechecked marriages. Began Death Records
- Florida – new home page & 104 marriage records
- Georgia – 68 more Gillespie marriages
- Kentucky: new home page; 68 marriage records
- Maryland – more marriage records. Reviewed Gillespie early history from 1700s, especially linked to wills and other states.
- Massachusetts – more marriage records
- New Hampshire – more marriage & death records
- New Jersey – added 73 more marriage records
- New York – added 31 Marriage records and 19 death records
- North Carolina – Added 63 more marriages
- Ohio – Youngstown 1889-90 Business Directory & Added 102 Ohio Marriage Records
- Filming Gillespie Tombstones in Ontario
- Gathering eyeglasses for Africa
Week of March 4 to 11, 2018: Military Focus
- Military: Added more Chelsea Pensioner’s Service Records 1766-1912 (United Kingdom)
- Military: Merchant Seaman 1835-1941 United Kingdom
- Added a video about DNA on that special page.
- Military: Upper Canada Militia, 1828, 1829
- Military : Recovered records for American Revolution. Somehow it was deleted by accident
- Military: War of 1812 between Canada and USA
Week of March 12 to 18, 2018: Immigration & Passenger Lists & Miscellaneous
- Added 390 more immigration records
- Just beginning World War II USA Army enlistment records
- Ireland: More Death Records for Co Antrim (14); Belfast (18); Co Fermanagh (23); Co Donegal (9);Co Londonderry (6);
- More Immigration Records (44)
Week of March 19 to 25, 2018:
- Added 88 more passenger lists.
- Added 24 more birth records for South AFRICA
- Military: World War II Enlistment Records, USA – letter W first names (a huge project)
- Ireland: 1911 census Co Mayo
Week of March 26 to April 1, 2018: HAPPY EASTER. He is Risen! Focus: IRELAND
- Current work – 1911 census Co Down
- Out of office, travelling
Week of April 2 to 8: Focus IRELAND
- 1911 census Co Down done
- Gathering collection boxes of eye glasses for Zambia, Africa: Chitokoloki Mission Hospital Eye Clinic
Week of April 9 to 15, 2018: focus CANADA
- Birth Records (175) from Toronto to Grey County
- Early Jail Occupants
- Ontario Post Office Officials
- Upper Canada Land Grant Petitions
- Surrogate Court Records Index 1859-1900
Alberta: Dominion Land Grants, 1870-1930 W4, & W5 & W6 towards the mountains
Saskatchewan: Dominion Land Grants 1870-1930 W2 & W3
Manitoba: Dominion Land Grants 1870-1930 EPM & W1
Note: Dominion land grants were the original or first titles to a portion of land issued by the Crown, free 160 acres for settlers, so these records provide a broad look at first homesteads of Gillespies spread across the Prairies.
Weeks of April 16-29, 2018: Focus Miscellaneous
- Added more Ontario birth records, and made a few corrections while rechecking dates.
- England Marriages – starting to add more from time to time.
Month of May:
Travel and gardening month
- Arkansas home page with county map, census and death records
- Arizona Home page, map, death and marriage records
- California : home page, map, marriage & death records
Month of June:
Genealogy work slows down over the summer due to other commitments, then usually picks up in the fall. One day at a time for each of us.
Children’s Corner: jokes, riddles and story time: The Adventures of Squeeky The Mouse (2 more chapters added)
Guidance For Life: Sharing comments and Bible verses to help us face life’s violence and corruption.
- California – 53 more death records from National Cemeteries
- Colorado State Map, Home Page, Gillespie Mines, Census, Name Index
- developing home pages for each country involved in WWII, including:
- 44 records for Australia.
- 51 records added Canada
- 60 records of UK soldiers, Britain (United Kingdom)
- 3 for New Zealand
- 1 for South Africa
- 53 more records of soldiers, USA
- Added index of Munster Rolls, Pearl Harbour
- proofreading 1911 census Co Antrim: some corrections made
- Current work 1901 census Co Antrim, Ireland: 650 records is taking a long time to get done, extending ahead.
Month of July:
- USA: Added current Gillespie death records to the States of: New York, Texas, Illinois, Oregon and South Carolina. Birth record for Texas.
- Added link on North Carolina home page to new highway plaque in Duplin County honouring pioneer James Gillespie, Congressman
- Canada: Ontario – few more births, marriages & death records
- Military: Added link to video testimony of Bailey Gillespie, who was held in North Korea for 32 months as a prisoner of war during the Korean War.
- News: Paul W Gillespie, Photojournalist, survived the deadliest attack on journalists in North America at the Capital Gazette in Maryland. PHOTO. Link to his interview following the attack
Peerage History of Sir Robert Rollo Gillespie, famous military leader (see Asia: India)
GUIDELINES – understanding policies adopted on this website, and copyright protection.
USA: Missouri Home Page, 22 Marriage Records, 18 Death Records, Map
IRELAND: Competed 1901 and 1911 census for all of Ireland. Helps us see where people were living. No Gillespies on census for counties: Carlow, Kerry, Limerick. Not included is Kings County, now called Offaly as the National Archives of Ireland website has the records listed as Queens, error or unknown duplication. 3,000 Gillespies in Ireland at the turn of the century and heading into approaching war. Not a surprise to see Gillespies dominate in Co Donegal, with a documented 300-year history there. Antrim, Down, Mayo and Tyrone Counties follow for both years in order of Gillespie population.
|ID||COUNTY||1901 CENSUS||1911 CENSUS||Field1|
SCOTLAND: Added a summary of the total of Gillespie individuals in census records from 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 There were about 4,000 Gillespies in Scotland in comparison to 3,000 in Ireland at the turn of the century.
Aygyll was a surprise because so many Gillespies left for Canada in the 1830s from Islay, affecting the 1841 and 1851 census, when migration stopped from there. Lanarkshire includes the City of Glasgow, and Midlothian includes the City of Edinburgh.
Total Gillespie individuals in Scotland in both charts
|COUNTY||Census 1841||Census 1851||Census 1861||Census 1871||Census 1881||Census 1891|
|ROSS & CROMARTY||0||0||10||2||1||0|
Month of AUGUST
USA: Yale University OBIS has 2,493 references for Gillespie publications
ASIA: Introducing Gillespies in CHINA. One record of a marriage in Turkey for British couple ( see Great Britain). No records for Lebanon, or Nepal, although I lived there for 3 months in 1970
AUSTRALIA: Added links to census, newspaper, death notices and The National Archives of Australia; added 33 more Australian Marriages, including new Tasmania. Census 1821 (none); 1841 (1) 1891 (64 Gillespies apparently heads of households, but gives an indication of Gillespie population just before the turn of the century in NSW, part of the 4th country to be identified.
- Added Victoria Outward Bound Passenger List, Australia
- Added Maryborough Public Records, Queensland (death)
- Added South Australia Immigrant Ship Papers
- Added New South Wales Bounty Immigrants (terrific records for full family details).
CANADA: Chart gives Population of Gillespies in Canada by Census Year. We now know population of Gillespies in 3 major countries at turn of century to 1900s: Scotland 4,000, Ireland 3,000, Canada 1600. Note: Would you help chart the 1900-1901 census for any of the 50 States in the USA, or for any country not yet done with information that can be loaded to this website?
|CENSUS YEAR||GILLESPIES IN CANADA|
More Canadian records added to website:
- Alberta: 1916 census
- British Columbia – 79 Marriages
- Manitoba: 1881 census (not just a link)
- New Brunswick – 1851 census
- Newfoundland/Labrador – 1945 census
- Northwest Territories – no Gillespies
- Nova Scotia – 66 Marriage Records
- Ontario – charting cemeteries in all counties with Gillespie burials for easier identification for filming tombstones. Rechecking cemetery indexes and plotting on township maps.
- Prince Edward Island – 1861 census
- Saskatchewan: Biographies and Pioneer History from those who lived it.
- Quebec – 1881 census
- Yukon – no Gillespie from 1881 to 1901. Two families on 1911 census in Bonanza Creek
ENGLAND: 73 more Marriage Records; 144 more Death Records
EUROPE – No new Gillespie records found in countries checked.
NEW ZEALAND: added 6 more obituaries or death records. Added 13 more immigration records from/to New Zealand – see next heading.
IMMIGRATION & PASSENGER LISTS: Added more records for immigration to and from Queensland, Australia, and separated those from NSW records on Australia home page. More New Zealand immigration records.
MILITARY RECORDS: added World War I and World War II records on new home pages for Africa, Asia & Middle East.
Out of office….
- Home Page for Algeria – burial
- Home Page for Ethiopia – burial
- Home page for Egypt. 8 Burials (some military)
- Home page for Libya – 3 military burials
- Home Page for Tanzania – record
- Russia: Home page with record
MIDDLE EAST: new. Home pages with records for:
SCOTLAND – focus on adding death records:
Genealogy Records for 2018
- January: 1,059 Total records 17,996
- February 761 18,757
- March 1,226 19,983
- April 689 20,672
- May 256 20,928
- June 327 21,255
- July (5,487) 94 21,349
TOTALS: 4,412 new records averaging 630 a month
This website began December 6, 2016