EARLY RECORDS: MAP #1 Property of William Gillespie, Thomas Clifford and Saml Gillespie in Carleton Co, Ontario, and John Mulligan Nepean Co. Prior to 1858.
MAP #2 Saml Gillespie Sr sells his land and disappears. William’s son John, takes over the family farm of his father, William.
DEATH NOTICE: Gillespie, Mrs Elizabeth Ann, age 57, of Ireland, wife of John Gillespie of Gloucester (Ottawa Journal Jan 4, 1898, p 7) She was born in Ireland about 1842. d/o John Mulligan and Eliza Boyd.
DEATH: “John Gillespie, age 76, May 5th (year uncertain) buried in an unmarked grave in a small cemetery on Metcalf Road about five miles south of the area where he lived. There was a Jewish cemetery beside it and deep woods nearby.” His daughter, Ruth Amy Gillespie (later Mrs Talmidge), was 12 years old when he died, meaning 1904 + 12= 1916. John was born May 4, 1840 from census records. Interview notes of Ruth Amy’s conversation. Ruth was John’s daughter.
DEATH ” 1935, Mary Clifford Gillespie died, buried in the same cemetery as John. Her children by William Clifftord produced:
- Edith Clifford married Herb Bailey. Their children were: Harry, Mildred, Laura, Bessie (seen in family photo)
- Earnest Clifford was killed overseas at age 19
- Davis Clifford
- Alice Clifford
My Father’s Siblings & Family Members
MARRIAGE: William Gillespie, age 25 residence Nepean, born Gloucester, bachelor, a lockman, Rideau Canal, s/o John and Betsy, married Lena Shore, age 22, residence and birth Goulburn, d/o James and Martha. Married Oct 24, 1893 in Ottawa. Witnesses Thomas Shore of Goulburn and Lizzie Donaldson, Ottawa. Presbyterian. Re Wm Moore. License. (Reel 77, MS 932).
BIRTH: Gillespie, Gordon Harold, born Ottawa, 1894, Dec 30 Microfilm 204977-95
BIRTH: Gillespie, Douglas Shore born Nepean Twp, 1896, Dec 26, Microfilm 027014-96
BIRTH: Gillespie, M. Ann Wiltena born Nepean Twp 1900, Aug 27
CENSUS 1901 Nepean, Carleton County, District 52. Microfilm T-6462:
- William Gillespie, head, married born Sept 5, 1868, age 32
- Lena Gillespie, wife, married, born April 30, 1871, age 29
- Douglas S. Gillespie, son, single, born Dec 26, 1896, age 4
- Myra Gillespie, daughter, single born Aug 27, 1900, age 7/12
- Catherine Buckingham, domestric, single, born March 22, 1835, age 66
BIRTH: Horace Maynord Gillespie born Nepean Twp March 10, 1902 (Microfilm: 311748-02)
CENSUS 1911 Goulburn
- Gillespie, William, head, married, b Sept 1868, age 42
- Gillespie, Lena, wife, married, bon April 1871, age 40
- Gillespie, Douglas I. Gillespie, son, single, born Dec 1896, age 14
- Gillespie, Marrion, daughter, single, born April 1900, age 10
- Gillespie, Morry?, son, single, born March 1902, age 9
- Gillespie, Dorthy M?, daughter, single, born June 1911, age 12/365
MARRIAGE RECORD: Miriam Gillespie married Bells Corners 1921, June 29, Microfilm 008514-21 Newspaper Announcement as follows:
(Hazaldean) On June 29 Miss Mariam Gillespie to Harold Scharf of March (June 19, 1921, p 5, Col 2)
LOYALIST LINEAGES OF CANADA, page 269
Edward Leslie CORMAN, b 6 Jly 1912, Stoney Creek, ON, m 22 Aug 1926, Hamilton, ON. Dorothy Mildred Gillespie, b 13 June 1911 Stittsville. Issue Barbara Leslie (Mildred lived at 16 Lydia Street, Hamilton, when I interviewed her).
Barbara Leslie CORMAN, b 28 Nov 1936 Hamilton, ON m1 14 June 1958 Hamilton, ON Edward Michael JAMES. m2 7 June 1963 Hamilton, ON Hubert Lloyd HEWITT, b 30 May 1923. Grenfall, SA. Issue Michael Edward Truman, b 22 Sept 1960. Kevin David Truman b 9 April 1962
CEMETERY RECORD, Hazaldean Maple Grove Cemetery, Plot 5
- In Memory of:
- Gordon Harold Gillespie died Aug 11, 1899, aged 4 years, 11 months.
- William Buckingham died Dec 15, 1913, age 79
- His wife, Catherine Buckingham died Jan 1, 1923, age 89.
Also in cemetery: Wm Thomas Shore 1864-1943. His wife F Etta Bradley 1875-1952. Their daughter Lyla Marjorie Shore 1907-1909.
DEATH: Mrs William Gillespie at Windsor formerly of Stittsville, on Friday, nee LENA SHORE. Lvs, husband, 2 sons, 2 daughters, 3 sisters. Int. Windsor. (Published November 24, 1938, page 1, col 2 & Dec 8, 1938, p 8, col 3) Note: Buried Green Lawn Cemetery, Windsor.
William Gillespie is buried in Ameliasburg, outside Windsor.
MARRIAGE: John Gillespie, age 22, of Nepean, born Gloucester, bachelor, farmer, s/o John Gillespie and Betsy Ann Mulligan, married Elizabeth COOKE, 22, of Nepean, Ontario born Ottawa, spinser, d/o John Cooke and Ellen Halfpenny. Sept 24, 1892 Ottawa. Witnesses Wm Gillespie, Nepean, Letitia Mulligan. Presbyterian. Rev Wm Moore. License. (MS 932, Reel 74, ID 102268-4)
BIRTH: Ethel Gillespie, Ottawa, born 1893, Aug 25
BIRTH: Hilda Muriel Gillespie, born Ottawa 1895, July 12 (Microfilm 005466-95)
DEATH: Muriel Hilda Gillespie, infant daughter of John, age 3, of Ottawa (Ottawa Journal Feb 3, 1899, p3)
CENSUS 1901, Wellington Ward, Ottawa City, District 100, Microfilm T-6488
- Gillespie, John, head, married, age 30, born Jan 22, 1871
- Gillespie, Elizabeth, wife, married, age 30, born Sept 1, 1870
- Gillespie, Ethel M. daughter, single, age 7, born Aug 25, 1893.
CENSUS 1911, Ottawa, Capital Ward
- Gillespie, John age 38, married. born Jan 1873
- Gillespie, Elizabeth, age 35, wife, married, born Sept 1875
- Gillespie, Ethel, age 19, daughter, single, born Aug 1891
MARRIAGE: Gillespie, Ethel married Ottawa 1911, Dec 8. (microfilm 002802-11)
MARRIAGE: James Gillespie, age 28, residence married Ottawa, place of birth Billings Bridge, bachelor, occupation fireman and carpenter. Parents John Gillespie and Elizabeth Mulligan, Witnesses Manuel Bradley, residence Hazaldean, married at St Paul’s Church, Hazaldean 15 May 1902, by Rev J. A. Shaw. License. Bridge Ella CUMMINGS, age 26, residence Hazaldean, born Hazaldean, spinster, daughter of John Cummings and Eliza Parker.
BIRTH: William Edward Gillespie born Ottawa 1902, April 26 (Microfilm: 010827-02)
BIRTH: Wm Edward Gillespie, April 1902, s/o James Gillespie, fireman and Eliza Ella Cummings, 215 Strathmond
BIRTH: Phyllis Graham Gillespie, born Ottawa 1904, July 26 (Microfilm 0014310-04)
CENSUS: 1911 Ottawa
- Gillespie, James, head, married born Nov 1872, age 38
- Gillespie, Ella, wife, married, born July 1875, age 35
- Gillespie, William, son, single, age 9, born April 1902
- Gillespie, Philip, son, single, age 6, born July 1904 (?Phyllis)
- Gillespie, Eric, son, single, age 2, born May 1909 (died of TB in 1943) Wife Phoebe from Carls Bad Springs. Son Barrie.
Ella was a great sewer, a very dainty person. She died a clot in her jugular vein
James died of stomach cancer in the early 1970s. Buried Pinecrest Cemetery with other family members, Nepean Twp.
MARRIAGE: Martha Gillespie married Billings Bridge 1899, July 11 (Microfilm 003819)
MARRIAGE: Martha Gillespie, age 22, of Gloucester, born Gloucester, spinster, Presbyterian, d/o John Gillespie and Elizabeth Ann Mulligan, married John Shore, age 31, of Ottawa, born Stittsville, (?widower), carpenter, Church of England, s/o James Shore and Martha Buckingham, 1899, July 11. Witnesses James Gillespie, Ottawa, Martha Shore Stittville. By Rev J. D. Morrison, Nepean, License.
CENSUS 1901 Wellington Ward, Ottawa, District 100. Microfilm T-6488
- Shore, John, head, married, age 33, born Dec 27, 1869
- Shore, Martha G., wife, married, age 24, born March 11, 1877
- Shore, Edna M. daughter, single, age 1, born Oct 26, 1899
- Shore, Richard, brother, age 32, single, born April 10, 1868
- Shore, George, single, boarder, age 22, born Oct 7, 1878
- Shore, Martha, sister, single, age 28, born Feb 14, 1873
CENSUS 1911, Nepean Twp, Carleton Co.
- Shore, John, head, married, age 44, born Dec 1866
- Shore, Martha, wife, married, age 34, born March 1877
- Shore, Edna, daughter, single, age 11, born Oct 1899
- Shore, Mina, daughter, single, age 9, born June 1907
- Shore, Madelaine, daughter, age 4, single, born Jan 1907
- Shore, Bessie, daughter, age 1, single, born Aug 1909
CENSUS 1901 – George is missing from Ontario census.
BIRTH: Owen Verral Gillespie born Toronto 1906, May 26 (Microfilm 006218-06)
CENSUS 1911: Ottawa
- Galespie, George, head, married, age 32, born Oct 1878
- Galespie, Martha, wife, married, age 38, born Feb 1873
- Galespie, Edrie, son, single, age 8, born Jan 1903
- Galespie, Lola, daughter, single, age 6, born July 1904
- Galespie, Verril, son, single, age 5, born April 1906
- Galespie, Elwood, Son, Single, age 2, born Aug 1908 (moved to Florida)
- Galespie, Kathline, daughter, single, age 11/12 born July 1900? (possible error)
FAMILY TOMBSTONE, Nepean Twp & Cemetery records:
- George 1878-1968, Oct 22 Martha 1872-1951, March 31