Born: May 4, 1840 Billings Bridge, Gloucester Twp, Carleton Co, Ontario Canada, s/o William Gillespie & Eliza Atkinson of Ireland
Died: 1916 in Brockville, Leeds Co, Ontario – reason why he was there unknown, if this is him.(I question this record, except date is also in Family Bible)
Burial: A small cemetery on Metcalf Road near farm, across from a Jewish Cemetery, Gloucester Twp, Carleton Co, Ontario
Married 1: Elizabeth Ann Mulligan December 12, 1867
Born: 1842 Ireland, d/o John Mulligan and Eliza Boyd of Nepean Twp, Carleton Co, Ontario
Immigration: unknown, but later than Gillespies did.
Died: January 4, 1898 at home on the farm, Gloucester Twp, Carleton Co, Ontario
Burial: unknown, but probably nearby. Possibly Woods Cemetery.
- William Gillespie (1868-1943) married Lena Shore.1893
- John Gillespie (1871- m Elizabeth Cooks 1892
- James Gillespie (1872-1970) m Ella Cummings 1901
- Elizil Gillespie (1873-1875) Died young
- Samuel Gillespie (my father) (1875-1954) married 5 x
- Martha Gillespie (1877-1945) married John Shore 1899
- Nathan Gillespie (1877) Died young
- George Gillespie (1878-1968) m Martha Shore 1902
- Bertha Gillespie (1881-1886) Died young
- Mable Gillespie (1883-?)
John’s 2nd Marriage to Mrs Mary Clifford (nee Davis), the widow of William Clifford, son of Thomas Clifford, who lived beside John all his life. William would have known all of Johns children from his first marriage. Mrs Clifford had four children from her first marriage with William Clifford, whom John then raised with her on the Gillespie farm.
Ruth Amy Gillespie, born August 31, 1902 in Pittsburgh Twp, Frontenac County, Ontario. She died June 21, 1985 in Hamilton, Ontario. Three marriages:
M 1 Walter Samuel Talmage (1882-1960)
m2 Meredith McDowell, who died of cancer
m3 Reid Murray (1915-1991)
Ruth had one son, Murray Edward Talmadge. All buried in Hamilton Cemetery, Wentworth Co, Ontario
Notes: John Gillespie’s farm is identified as River Front Con 2, Lot 3f.